I communicate comfortably and effectively with individuals from various backgrounds. I demonstrate an ability to help people get results and create the life they desire by opening space so the possibility of achieving their desired outcome is available to them.
I chose to assist people with their legal and life problems while at the same time experiencing the joys of life myself. I am excited about helping people and businesses grow. Many businesses take on work whenever it is available. The Rules of Professional Conduct preclude an attorney from taking on work if it cannot be addressed in a timely manner. I commit to taking on work that I can handle based upon my current schedule. I do accept a limited number of high intensity and time consuming projects annually because I find them exciting and rewarding. Every case I commit to, regardless of its level of intensity, is approached with the same level of enthusiasm and excellence.
I am client focused and use a practical and collaborative approach to resolving legal issues. Contact Attorney Harry W. Skene, if you want someone who will truly care for your concerns and who is here to help and here to listen.
I am licensed in both Pennsylvania and New York; my experience is further illustrated in my CV below.
My Curriculum Vitae
Harry W. Skene, JD, LL.M.
900 Rutter Ave. Forty Fort, PA 18704 ▪ Phone: (800) 716-9529
Twenty-five years of experience as an energetic, client focused and compassionate advocate with a background in contract drafting and negotiations, corporate law, taxation, business organization and development, (profit and non-profit) estate planning and administration, dispute resolution and litigation. Solid understanding of the relationship between law and furthering clients’ needs with a proven ability to successfully produce desirable results.
Continuously demonstrates superior research, analytical, verbal, and written skills. Proven ability to quickly identify, develop and plan legal strategy. Seasoned at communicating comfortably and effectively with individuals from various backgrounds and intellects to ensure mutual understanding.
Areas of Expertise
Licensed in Pennsylvania and New York
A Practical Attorney, P.C., Forty Fort, PA8/10 – Present
Chief Law and Life Officer
- Corporate counsel to small to medium size business, including: formation, transactional and litigation services.
- Representation of clients involved in purchase, sale or combining of businesses.
- Provide compliance and human resource services to business clients, including state and federal labor requires, IRS and INS compliance, client specific compliance e.g., department of health, attorney general, department of transportation, environment protection and others, prepare standard operating procedures for management to entry level personal to improve efficiency, develop personnel manuals, and reporting forms to implement human resource services.
- Intellectual properties, obtain and maintain trademarks and copyrights, prepare nondisclosure and license agreements.
- Representation of clients before municipal, county and state agencies for employment, zoning, environmental, liquor, utilities, and tax matters.
Geisinger Health System, Danville, PA 8/07 – 3/09
Quality and Regulatory Compliance Manager
- Developed regulatory compliance strategies for service lines within System Services.
- Established and implemented Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s (NRC) Increased Controls security program for radioactive material quantities across multiple departments.
- Provided review, comment and advice on regulations and guidance from NRC and Department of Environmental Protection (DEP).
- Reviewed all radiologic incidents for proper investigation, adherence to regulation and assured auditable document is properly written.
- Performed root cause analysis on incidents and possible regulatory or procedural non-compliance to determine an explanation for the deficiency and provide resolutions.
- Developed new procedures, performed compliance review of procedures, and amended for continued compliance with regulations, accreditations and standards.
- Reviewed and commented on Join Commission Standards related to MHP.
- Radiation Safety Committee – All Campuses
- System Ancillary Department Billing and General Compliance Subcommittee
United Neighborhood Centers – Scranton, PA
Economic Justice Coordinator, November 2005 – August 2007
The Economic Justice Campaign is a National Community Reinvestment Coalition (NCRC) pilot program focused on developing equal access to credit and financial services. The theory is that the best way to achieve this end is to form a broad based coalition of traditional and non-traditional members to work together to bring about appropriate change.
- Wrote and Published the Economic Justice Newsletter.
- Investigated bank CRA requirements and compliance.
- Analyzed and reported on HMDA data as it relates to the subject geographic area.
- Presented topical information and moderated focus groups.
- Investigated fringe lending practices and reported findings to the committee or through the newsletter.
- Researched, presented data, conducted meetings and developed a multi-county coalition.
- Engaged in dialogue with federal and state bank regulators in order to stay abreast of up coming regulatory issues. Upon learning of proposed changes, issued appropriate comments for or against the proposals. Worked continuously to be heard by the regulators and to forge a working relationship.
- Reviewed legislation as early in development as possible in order to most positively effect the final legislation or prevent its passage.
- Testified by invitation before the PA House of Representatives Committee on Commerce concerning new banking legislation.
- Developed proper messaging so the conversation could be effectively changed to meet the goals of the coalition.
- Presented programs at conferences related to economic justice issues.
Legal Research & Consulting, P.C. – Pittston, PA
President, February 1994 to 2010
LRC a general practice firm providing consulting & legal services to individuals, businesses, government and law firms.
- Developed and marketed services to law firms for the provision of research and document preparation for trial and appellate court matters.
- Planned and implemented the networking and technology necessary to have a “paperless” office.
- Consulted with startup business clients and formed the appropriate entities, developed business and management plans and maintained the necessary compliance (for profit and non-profit entities).
- Established policies, procedures and manuals necessary for the formation of human resource departments and provided training for management and employees to ensure that the department maintained technical specificity.
- Appointed Solicitor to Controller of the County of Luzerne where forensic auditing, investigation, advice and advocacy were provided in an attempt to ensure compliance with the Pennsylvania County Code. We initiated an investigation into the business relationship between attorney Powell and former judge Conahan when it was proposed that the county enter into a contract with Powell’s private juvenile center.
AMC Enterprises, Inc. – Pittston, PA
General Counsel, October 2000 to November 2002
Provider of technical consulting, software and networking solutions, internet billing, bandwidth and hosting services and technical support to a global community.
Key member of management team responsible for corporate legal documentation and affairs involving negotiating exterior contracts and drafting interior contracts, drafting and maintaining policies and procedures for corporate compliance, client services, employees and provided risk management oversight. Advised senior management on business strategy and initiatives domestically and overseas.
UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA Law School, Philadelphia, PA LL.M. Securities & Financial Regulation, 1989
UNIVERSITY OF TOLEDO College of Law, Toledo, OH JD, 1988
ADELPHI UNIVERSITY, Garden City, NY, BA in Psychology, 1984
OAK RIDGE ASSOCIATED UNIVERSITIES, Oak Ridge, TN, Five-week Applied Health Physics Course, 2008
MEDIATION of BUSINESS, FAMILY and DIVORCE CONFLICT, Robert D. Benjamin, Scranton, PA, Certified, 1997
OAK RIDGE INSTITUTE for SCIENCE and EDUCATON, Emergency Management of Radiation Accident Victims, Wilkes-Barre, PA Certified, 2005
Admissions & Associations
- Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania, U.S. District Court Eastern District and Middle District of Pennsylvania and U.S. Tax Court
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Luzerne County Bar Association
Awards & Publication
- Legal Services to the Public Committee Pro Bono Award, Pennsylvania Bar Association, May 2005
- Equal Access to Justice Award Pro Bono Services, Lackawanna County Bar Association, January 2005
- “Satellites and Space Law,” Air Pennsylvania, Vol. 1 Summer 2004
- “Economic Justice Campaign Strengthens in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania,” Reinvestment Works, Winter 2006
Marywood University Scranton, PA
Continuing Education Department
Mediation Courses for Advanced Level Students
- Gwynedd Mercy College Gwynedd Valley, PA
Adjunct Professor Fall 1993 and Spring 1994
Behavioral and Social Sciences Department
Law and the Division of Society, Race and the Constitution,
Law and Social Justice and Women and the First Amendment
- National Business Institute
Estate Planning Basics, April 2012 Scranton, PA